Saturday, March 26, 2005

New Crisis in Schiavo Case

At first I thought that Governor Jeb Bush was a voice of sanity in the turmoil around Terri Schiavo, which would have been surprising to me given his ancestry. Mr. Bush said:

"I cannot go beyond what my powers are and I'm not going to do it." (seen here)

This is rather an remarkable sentence for a politician who could gain Christian Voters in this case easily. However, it would have meant to disobey a jurisdictional order and thus a constitutional crisis. If he had held dear to his words, I would have gained new respect for Jeb Bush, but he did not.

Instead Mr. Bush showed his cowardice and sneakiness once more. Read the whole case here.

Hours after a judge ordered that Terri Schiavo wasn't to be removed from
her hospice, a team of Florida law enforcement agents were en route to seize her
and have her feeding tube reinserted - but they stopped short when local police
told them they would enforce the judge's order, The Miami Herald has learned.


And who were those state agents? Well, guess who is the Chief in Command:

The incident, known only to a few, underscores the intense emotion and
murky legal terrain that the Schiavo case has created. It also shows that
agencies answering directly to Florida Gov. Jeb Bush had planned to use a
wrinkle in state law that would have allowed them to legally get around the
judge's order. The exception in the law allows public agencies to freeze a
judge's order whenever an agency appeals it.

Well, I always have too much faith in some people. Perhaps I should give up my good hope for some well-known brothers. All Bushs originate from the same Bush...


Commentary: smg.max@gmx.net

No comments: