Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Real Climate and Math

I don't have much time to go into the math of these simple models on realclimate.org, but I have had some thoughts after wading through the simplified math.

Nothing of this is new, since it all merely represents known physics. Although there some uncertainities I have with those models. First, there are these three energy levels, where Ground and Solar are independent:

I. System Earth
II. System Atmosphere
III. System Solar Planet

These are the three energy equations (equilibrium states?) and there are some basic formulae for G and S and :

(IV)
(V)
(VI)

So far, so nice, but then they start to derive the Ground Temperature via (V) in (I), (VI) in (I) and finally (II) in (I) :



Nice, idea, but what if I say that due to their connectivity, I set System (III) in (I):



We now have a dependence of on the Temperature of the atmosphere.

We can further say: and then

So, if we can measure the athmospheric temperature, we already know the Surface temperature, which is only slightly warmer?

Of course, this is a basic model, which is, as they stress, not applicable to Earth, but rather doable in a closed experiment in the lab.

For real models, we also have feedbacks and radiative forcings (Differentials). First of all, their is nothing short of only Greenhouse-Gases in this example. Then, we have multiple atmospheric levels, so we have energy emission on top and bottom of the different layers influencing each other. We have a lot of other influences on the emissivness, like clouds formation, radicals and so forth. This shows that lambda is no constant, but a dynamic variable:



So, lambda is certainly one of the decisive variables in the system, which have the biggest influence (along with the Solar-variable).

So, how do we determine lambda?

No comments: